Social and hUman ceNtered XR
PI for TUC
• Extended Reality (XR)
• Mutlimodal Interfaces
• Human-Computer Interactions (HCI)
The Social and hUman ceNtered XR (SUN) project aims at investigating and developing extended reality (XR) solutions
that integrate the physical and the virtual world in a convincing way, from a human and social perspective. The virtual
world will be a means to augment the physical world with new opportunities for social and human interaction.
We will address the following limitations:
● Lack of solutions to develop scalable and cost-effective new XR applications;
● Lack of convincing solutions for mixing of the virtual and physical environment;
● Lack of plausible and convincing human interaction interfaces in XR;
● Barriers due to resource limitations of end-user devices;
We will develop solutions to surpass current limitations, including:
● Development of scalable solutions to obtain plausible and convincing virtual copies of physical objects and
● Development of solutions for a seamless and convincing interaction between the physical and the virtual world;
● Development of wearable sensors and haptic interfaces for convincing and natural interaction with the virtual
● Development of artificial intelligence-based solutions to address current computing, memory, and network limitations
of wearable devices;
The developed solution will be demonstrated in three real-life scenarios:
1 XR for rehabilitation after accidents or diseases.
2 XR in the industry to increase safety and improve social interaction among workers.
3 XR to remove interaction barriers for persons with disabilities.
Period: 1 Dec 2022 – 30 Nov 2025